A Little History of Rogersville
The largest settlement in this area in the mid 1800′s was Henderson with a population of about 300. Located 16 miles east of Springfield in a valley by a stream and on the main highway, it was a perfect place for a town. In 1882, the Kansas City and Memphis Railroad came through two miles to the south. It became known that a depot was to be erected by the railroad. At the time, a young physician, Dr. Isaac Rogers, agreed to donate $50 to defray the expense of surveying, laying out lots, and building streets if the settlement was named in his honor.
The first postmaster was appointed in September 1882. In 1904, five rural carriers began delivering the mail by horse and buggy. By then the population of Rogersville had grown to 450. School was first held about 1885. The newspaper, The Rogersville Record, obtained a “second-class matter permit” at the post office in October 1915. A community church, which housed a lodge hall on the second story, was built in 1885. The first bank opened in 1890, but failed during the Depression. The Citizens Bank of Rogersville was chartered in 1908.
Rogersville was incorporated as a village in 1916. Some street lights were operating as early as 1927. In 1932, Highway 60 was paved through town. In 1948, it became a fourth class city.
More historical pictures are available at www.rogersvillemo.org .